Friday, October 31, 2008

Purple Landscape--Original Oil Painting Value Study

It has been a very long week with little time to paint. I'm looking forward to some paint time this weekend. This little 5x7 painting is one of few efforts I was able to squeeze in. It was created using a limited palette in order to practice values. The sky is usually the lightest section in a landscape and the trees the darkest. With a limited palette of blue, red, yellow and white, the biggest challenge was mixing a dark that could represent believable trees. Ultramarine Blue and Perylene Red resulted in a dark purple that was acceptable for the trees and their reflections in the water. The result of my efforts was a useful practice with values and an attractive little purple landscape. I am going to continue to explore values and mixtures with a limited palette. I'm longing to purchase a tube of Chromatic Black, which I've heard is quite different than any other black. It is rumored to have transparency and mixing qualities like no other black, but that's a story for a future, yet unpainted effort. This painting has been sold, but you can find some of my other small landscape paintings here.
Technorati tags:
, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

4 comments:

Femin Susan said...

I just came 2 hours ago and didn't find this.This picture is exquisite

Jennifer Lommers said...

Wow - that's lovely! The variations of purple are wonderful.

Robin Pedrero said...

More than "acceptable" to quote you,those trees are fabulous in that color

Nancy Merkle Fine Art said...

Thank you all! I appreciate your taking the time to comment.