Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Sky Holes and Grassland--Painting Practice

In this little 5x7 inch oil painting I was working on a couple of different skills. First, the sky holes in trees are always a challenge for me. I tend to make foliage too heavy, so in this effort, I focused on letting the blue sky show through the branches. Though it still isn't executed as I would have liked, it was useful practice. The foreground was also an area on which I concentrated. I began with a Cadmium Yellow Underpainting and then allowed some of it to show through as the grasses were added. Although there are a number of areas where I could criticize this little painting, it was good practice and I enjoyed working with the warm colors of fall.
Technorati tags:
, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

7 comments:

Kim VanDerHoek said...

I think this turned out very well Nancy. Your foreground brushwork is stunning! You stated it simply and it reads beautifully. I think your tree holes are well done too. They add that transparent quality of looking through leaves. Striking color combo. with the orange ground and blue sky. Very nice!

Kim VanDerHoek said...

Thanks for your comment about the boots. Are you going to paint them too?

Unknown said...

Nice work, Nancy - the best teacher I ever had for sky holes was Judy Gelfert - she is a Texas lady who is a very giving instructor.
happy holidays!

Sanghi said...

Yes, Indeed a good painting. Bringing the sky between branches is really a hard work. It came out very well, also the colours used make feel the realism.
Love all ur work Nancy!

Nancy Merkle Fine Art said...

Thanks to all of you--it is nice to hear such kind words!

lifeneedsart said...

The foliage and sky are believable and the foreground is fine. Really well done!

Nancy Merkle Fine Art said...

Thanks Karen--I appreciate your comments!