Friday, July 31, 2009

Over the Fence--Original Plein Aire Painting

Even though today's painting is quite simple, it is a big landmark for me. Every year, when the weather gets warm and summery, I try my hand at plein aire painting--painting outdoors. Every year I make a mess and marvel at how plein aire painters are able to pull all that information together and create such beautiful paintings. So, I've spent the past three years reading the advice of accomplished plein aire painters. I read Alla Prima by Richard Schmid several times, Composition of Outdoor Painting by Edgar Payne, Landscape Painting Inside and Out by Kevin D. MacPherson Carlson's Guide to Landscape Painting by John Carlson and several others not just once, but over and over again--taking notes and trying to absorb their knowledge. Yesterday, when the temperature had cooled to a mere 95 degrees, I sat on the back porch, in the shade and focused on the roof of my neighbors house. Somehow it all fell together. It wasn't a big mess like some of my other past attempts. So, in spite of its simplicity, this little painting pleases me. Now I can't wait to get out and try it again.
Technorati tags:
, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

No comments: