Thursday, July 30, 2009

Rusty--Original Oil Painting

Yesterday's weather broke into triple digits and was registered as the highest temperature ever on the west side of Washington State. At 103 cooling off was on everyone's mind. I focused my efforts by painting the reflection of this old vessel. It kept my mind off the heat and was a feast of color with the contrasting warm reds and cool blues. The painting is 8x10 inches on a hardboard panel. As the heat continues today, I'm contemplating painting this scene again in a much larger version. If I get it big enough, maybe I can just jump into the picture and enjoy the cool of that sparkling water.

Technorati tags:
, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

3 comments:

Lauren Maurer said...

I love the reflections!

Kim VanDerHoek said...

I love the strong color and dramatic composition in this painting Nancy! It's really stunning!

Nancy Merkle Fine Art said...

Thanks so much for the kind words. This was one of those paintings where I turned the photo upside down while I painted--so many odd shapes and colors. Glad you like it--glad it turned out well!