Thursday, February 25, 2010

Red and Gold--More Glazing Effort

Yesterday's painting, Red and Green, focused on glazing, a practice I do less often than I used to. Because I liked the results, I added this little painting to my recent glazing efforts. Usually I paint wet in wet, probably because I have a short attention span and am impatient. Glazing requires a dry surface, so patience is required as each layer dries and waits for a new layer of paint. That is why I seldom glaze anymore--definitely too impatient. But pulling out older works that didn't meet my satisfaction has been quite productive. This painting was not changed at all except to add an additional layer of color to each of the pears. They are brighter and the color has a lot more depth after adding the glaze. I suppose I should develop more patience because glazing really does produce delightful results.
Technorati tags:
, , , , , , ,

3 comments:

Gwen Bell said...

Really nice! I like the way the red pear is laying across and the red shadows on the yellow ones.

Saundra Lane Galloway said...

This is fascinating to me Nancy...I'd love to know more!! These look so happy together! LOVE IT!

Nancy Merkle Fine Art said...

Thanks--I'm glad you like them!