Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Artichoke--Original Small Format Oil Painting

Quick, painterly strokes helped me created this 5x7 artichoke painting. It was fast and fun. I began with a neutral base coat on a hardboard panel. When the base coat dried, I sketched the shapes, painted the background, the shadow, and finally put the artichoke on top. Since the artichoke had so many leaves and I knew trying to paint each one would challenge my patience, so I focused on shapes, forgetting about the leaves. It makes it so much easier to paint when I force myself to forget about what I'm painting and look for shapes and colors. Thus, when finished, it was an artichoke! In a few weeks it will be for sale at Small Impressions Gallery. Until then, you might want to take a look at some of my other small still life oil paintings.
Technorati tags:
, , , , , ,

No comments: