Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Next to Evergreen

Painting the vast forests of evergreen trees in the Pacific Northwest is an ever present opportunity. It has been a quite a while since I've painted a landscape that included evergreen forests as an element, so it was time. In this little 5x7 inch oil painting, the deciduous trees on the edge of the forest were supposed to be my focus. Getting the values in the distant forests correct was the challenge. I'm not particularly happy with the results. The most distant hill of trees works well, but the mid ground trees are too dark and don't show an effective contrast with the evergreens in the foreground. When the paint dries, I may tweak those values a bit more. This painting is a reminder to me of how quickly skills can disappear when practice isn't frequent.
Technorati tags:
, , , , , , , , , ,

No comments: